Our teeth work hard and are continuously under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Unfortunately, enamel erosion is extremely pervasive, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, teeth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal ailments, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Cornwall Dental Arts – Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, we educate our general dentistry patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt future erosion if some has already developed.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been eroded, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of adolescents already have enamel erosion.
3. Aggressive brushing can impair enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as harmful as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to halt future erosion. There are several cosmetic dentistry procedures that can protect the teeth that have been harmed. Call Cornwall Dental Arts – Family and Cosmetic Dentistry today at 855-976-7250 to schedule an examination. Dr. Deneka will give you guidance on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion.
Contact Cornwall Dental Arts – Family and Cosmetic Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):